(Also known as the builder’s knot)
This is a good knot to hold parts and tools while working. Whether using cord or a lanyard this makes a secure holder if not jostled. This is also a good knot to secure a line to the leg of a tower or a diagonal member.
1. Grab a piece of rope with two hands 6-12 inches apart.
2. Make a loop with the right hand with the down rope behind the horizontal rope.
3. Make a loop with the left hand with the down rope in front the horizontal rope. This will result in one down rope in front and one down rope behind the horizontal rope.
4. Notice how each loop sits on opposite sides of the horizontal rope.
5. Take the loop with the rope on the back side of the horizontal rope and place it over the loop with the rope on the front side of the horizontal rope without folding either loop.
6. This should form one loop allowing you to place an object in the center of the hitch.
7. Dress and set the knot.