This knot is highly valuable in forming many more complex knots and when tied around something it forms a strangle knot. A strangle knot is convenient when securing a roll of blueprint, a bundle of pipe or to secure a glued joint while the glue is drying.
1. Take a bend of rope.
2. Make a loop with the running end going over the standing end.
3. Wrap the running end around the standing part.
4. Wrap the running end over the standing part a second time.
5. Wrap the running end around the standing part for the second time.
6. Feed the running end through the first loop.
7. Continue feeding the running end of the rope through the loop.
8. Feed the running end of the rope through the second loop.
9. Pull the running end of the rope to tighten.
10. Dress the knot as it tightens.
11. Final view.